Do I Need Braces?
What are some signs that braces may be needed?
– Upper front teeth protrude excessively over the lower teeth, or are bucked (overbite)
– Upper front teeth cover the majority of the lower teeth when biting together (deep bite)
– Upper front teeth are behind or inside the lower front teeth (underbite, crossbite)
– The upper and lower front teeth do not touch when biting together (open bite)
– The upper jaw is narrower than the lower jaw (crossbite)
– The lower jaw shifts to one side or the other when biting together
– Crowded or overlapped teeth
– The center of the upper and lower teeth do not line up
– Finger or thumb sucking habits which continue after six or seven years old
– Difficulty in chewing
– Teeth wearing unevenly or excessively
How do I know if I or my child needs an orthodontic treatment?
It is usually difficult to determine if treatment is necessary because there are many problems that can occur even though the front teeth look straight. Also, there are problems that appear complex but may resolve on their own. Checking with your general or pediatric dentist is a good idea. However, we strongly recommend that you contact us for an orthodontic consultation appointment. Our initial exam is complimentary. We would be glad to make any recommendations necessary.
What are the early symptoms of orthodontic problems?
The following signs and symptoms may prompt you to seek our orthodontic consultation. If you see any signs of crooked teeth, overlapping teeth or gaps between teeth, orthodontic treatment might be needed. When biting teeth all the way down, check if the front upper teeth line up with the lower ones. Check if the upper teeth stick out excessively from the lower teeth. Do the top front teeth cover more than 50% of the lower teeth? Are the upper teeth behind the lower teeth? All these are indicators for potential orthodontic problems. Check the alignment of jaws. Check if the jaw shifted off center when biting down. If you see any misalignment or shifting of the jaw, there may be a skeletal jaw problem which requires early orthodontic intervention. These are only some of the obvious symptoms of orthodontic problems. Please contact us for further exam and treatment recommendation.